Sunday, March 21, 2010

My first encounter with Durif...

Today I was wandering the neighbourhood and found a liquor store. They, the liquor store, trade with whiskeys and, it seems like, red Australian original but Scottish branded wines. While my favourite wines are red syrah, or a mix of it, I got myself a bottle of McManis Family Vineyards's Petite Sirah grape. It was my fist encounter with such a grape so I was a little bit amused about what I will get for my money. I have bought my dinner beforehand and predicted a catastrophe of sorts; it was a sea food dinner and Durif is a tannic. However, it proved I'm a prejudiced ass-hole. It was great! While the mixture of salmon, rice and the Durif wine was not awesome or something I will choose after any other combination, the taste of the Durif wine, somehow a raisin-like flavour, proved awesome for skipping the evening reading the news, watching some tv-series and writing this blog.

So, if you can go for it, try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment