Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Vacations... what do to with them?

I never know what to do with my vacations. I usually never take them and I usually get bored after a few days or even hours whenever I have to take them without having something in mind

Waking up late... check
Cleaning the house... check
Watching a movie while having breakfast... check
Chat with Lyx... check
Get bored and checking the arXiv, physics and optics journals for new papers... check

So, you see. I can even bet that before the day is gone I will be doing a little bit of algebra here and there now that I found something that caught my eye in today's listings at the arXiv.

Days off, those I can handle. It is easier to think of 18 waking hours to do whatever you want: sit at home to read a book, go downtown to take some photos, go to the cinema, all of the above. Vacations, well, vacations for me used to mean getting a one-month train pass and hop from city to city coach surfing at my friends' places for three or four days at a time; getting into the car alone or with family/friends and drive for a whole full month to hidden places; or grabbing the backpack, meet my friends at some interesting and wide area with hitchhiking and backpacking potential and spend a full month moving around the place trying to get to know it. Now, that requires a little bit of planning but not really that much, in the end you just have to figure the general area that you want to visit and that's all.

Today is the first day of my 28 day vacation. I'm supposed to be off the office until February 29th. and I have no clue what to do with it. I'm just taking the days because I cannot cash them in before my contract ends the 3rd of March. I have just one vague idea of what I want to do: Angkor Wat but that's it. I wish Lyx, Andre or Martin where here to just go over a place and start moving around until there's no Wat  left un-sighted or pagoda un-visited from Vietnam to Singapore—uhm, maybe that's way too much—.

Anyway, I'm too lackadaisical to get the visas to Vietnam and Cambodia. Most probably I will start doing my typical working day routine to overcome this ennui.

If you are looking for information about what countries require a visa for Mexicans, I found in the intertubes was this page that is photographically organized and this page that is alphabetically organized.

If you know about some beautiful place (not a beach!) in South Pacific Asia that doesn't require Mexicans a visa to travel there, please post it in the comments, I will be thankful.





No comments:

Post a Comment