Sunday, May 22, 2011

Last weekend movies...

I thought I will manage to keep on time with the film report, but it seems like work got the best out of me these last two weeks. Anyway, Lyx and I managed to watch some movies...

  1. Waitress, ****
    This film portraits the life of a not-so-happily-married waitress, who happens to be an excellent pie maker, in a rural town somewhere in the, maybe, Bible belt of the United States. I got this one thinking that it will be a romantic comedy because of Nathan Fillon (at this point you have surely realized that I'm a big fan of his work in Firefly, Dr. Horrible's Singalong and Castle), but it ended up as a good drama/comedy, is the word tragedy? Anyway, it has great moments and it is a good film to watch with your girl.

  2. Red Cliff 1 and 2, ****
    I have only one word: Epic.  This film tells the story of the Battle of the Red Cliffs. A decisive battle that lead to the Three Kingdoms period of Chinese history, where Cao Cao was defeated by the combined forces of Liu Bei and Sun Chuan. John Woo is the director behind this epic film effort. A must watch!

  3. The Thirst, ****
    I was surprised to find a Korean Vampire film during my weekly dive into the movie bin. I was more surprised when I watch it and found that it deals with a Catholic Priest in Korea that becomes infected with Vampire blood and tries to keep going with his life of service to an epic fail ending. I might lack the Korean background but I loved the film,  to me it started a vampire movie, became a romantic comedy and ended a drama. Thumbs up! What are you waiting, go for it!

  4. Shaolin, ***
    Set in the modern warlord period of China (I would say late XVIII century due to the military uniforms and armament), this fiction film deals with the  exploits of a military man turned into Buddhism by the winding path of fate. Curiously enough, one of the generals have the name of Cao Man, that is the father of Cao Cao, the Prime Minister from the Han dinasty that lost the Red Cliff Battle. It is an action film and Jackie Chan plays a supporting role. A good film to take the edge off.

  5. Ghost Town, ***
    A romantic comedy, the lead character played by Ricky Gervais; yes, you read it right: romantic. It is a funny turn of the "I see dead people" theme. Filmed in New York city, it is about love, redemption, stupidity and all those things that make a nice romantic comedy with a twist or two. Go get your copy and your girl!

  6. Operation: Endgame, *
    The idea sounded entertaining on the cover. Two spy teams, one destructive and the other following subtler moves, balancing each other approaches at the service of the United States, trapped at their headquarters facing destruction. It sounds great, isn't it. Well, you watch it and give me your opinion.

This week, "The Big Bang Theory" was again at its best with the girls playing spy games at Pria and Leonard. Meanwhile,  Amy and Sheldon conducted a gossip flux experiment involving gardens and babies.

Glee! has a recession turn, as "lips" family lost it all and it stired up things a little bit with the paranoid teens, nice songs as always but Santana's love song was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment