Saturday, April 9, 2011

The Age of Ra by James Lovegrove...

Last weekend I got my lazy derrière all the way up to Page One in Vivo City and got myself "The Pantheon Trilogy" written by James Lovegrove. I came to the trilogy without any prejudice and without a clue. The books seemed to be either science-fiction or speculative-fiction. I took the bait and bought the three of them.

"The Age of Ra" is a kind of military-science-fiction work set in an alternate current time earth. I say "kind of" because it is not really that military, it lacks the vivid descriptions of tactical maneuvers of the military genre, and it is not really that scifi as the only futuristic equipment are the god-powered weapons and arms.

The book deals with an alternate modern era earth that is identical to ours but for the fact that the Egyptian Pantheon rule over the human population of the planet. In the beginning it brought memories of "The Lathe of Heaven" by the greatest Ursula K. Le Guin, but I was too fast to make the comparison.

The story is simple, it is quite possible that by the first hundred and something pages, where the first third of the book dealing with the introduction of characters finishes, you will figure out what will happen in the following first hundred and something pages, where the main plot develops and gets epic.

Actually, the book is a good no-brainer read. It flows easily, the plain story helps a lot with the flow, and I finished reading it in some seven hours distributed in mornings and afternoons at the bus and before-bed time.

Truth be honored, by the end of the book I was banging my head in the wall for buying the trilogy but I started the second one and I liked it better.

1 comment: