Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Age of Odin by James Lovegrove...

I came to The Age of Odin after finishing reading the other two books of the trilogy written by James Lovegrove, The Age of Ra and The Age of Zeus. I enjoyed the book. 

For starters, the switch from third-person omniscient narrative to first-person narrative was refreshing. Lovegrove's really found a compelling human voice for this story. 

Also, I find his fantasy style to be more honed than his science fiction attempts. In reducing the science fiction elements to a few constructions by the end of the book, and changing the focus from character development from campaign description to character development through human interaction, Lovegrove manages to entertain and fulfill his role as storyteller. 

The novel is good; it kept me interested and I almost didn't realize that he was  using here the same well defined sectioning that he used in the previous deliveries of the trilogy. Furthermore, I really loved the way how he opens up his hand and delivers all the subtleties of the story twists through character interaction; I failed to put one plus one together and predict them.

In short, it is a good fast read. The best of the trilogy. I hope you enjoy as much as I did reading it.

Thank you Mr. Lovegrove for these hours of entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment