Friday, September 10, 2010

Overclocked by Cory Doctorow

Last week, I bought myself a small android pad; so far, I have used it to read free books. While almost all the jewels of classic literature belong to the public domain, look for example at Project Gutenberg, it is hard to find good and free modern literature. Enter Cory Doctorow.


Overclocked by Cory Doctorow is a collection of five short science-fiction stories published under the creative commons copyright license. In short, you can download, distribute and generate derivative works if you follow the rules. When I started reading, I got the feeling that I would like the book; all the stories carry the name of an already famous science fiction story. After the second page, I realized I have already read the book and, most probably, it is gathering dust in my bookshelf at my mother's house. Nevertheless, I read it again and revisited Doctorow's views on copyright, sentience, netiquette, utopias, dystopias, and, of course, apocalyptic futures.

If you have a few hours to spare, each story is just a few scores of pages, please go to the Overclocked download site and give them a try. You will not regret that well spent leisure time.



Other books I've read

No comments:

Post a Comment