Thursday, September 16, 2010

More haste, less speed

Daniel, my fellow Mexican and newest addition to the book of friends and acquaintances, uses to joke about my "autistic ways of doing things." I really enjoy his jokes about this topic because they remind me that I am not careful and slow by nature but by experience.

As acting in careless hurries has given me so much trouble in the past, I try my best to follow the rules whenever there are rules; in my personal life, I try to establish and follow routines; in my work life, I try to set paths -you will always find a "To Do" list somewhere on my desk or wall-. Why do I do this? Because, by birth, I tend to do or speak faster than I think.

In Spanish there's a saying, Lyx just brought it to my mind, "No des puntada sin hilo" (Do not stitch with a thread-less needle), which I believe is somewhat equivalent to the "More haste, less speed." Whenever one embarks with haste on any given action, desired results will not be delivered and, most probably, your actions will be in vain.

Today, I find myself in a situation that I could have avoided by following the rules as they are written. Tomorrow, I will find out about the path to follow in order to correct my haste. Anyway, knowledge is the reward of action; I have learned: "More haste, less speed."

No comments:

Post a Comment