Monday, September 13, 2010

Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow

As I needed to recharge batteries, I spent this weekend reading, another free and good short novel by Cory Doctorow, Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom; released under the creative commons copyright license, you can download it for free.

The novel deals with a good many things from philosophy of the self to political manifestos. What really got me is reading about the once hot topic of science fiction: life eternal. It might be that I have not been reading science fiction lately and I have lost my bearings, but it seems that the 20's to 60's fascination with life eternal somehow got diluted in contemporaneous science fiction.

I also liked the way the author presents a political/economical/cultural scenario through the exploration of change at the personal level. In the future, there might be a thousand ways to help us cope with feelings, emotions, change and all those things that take us away from the narrow path of logic and rational actions, but what about living with the lack of them?

Anyway, I imagine that this work can be read in many different ways. I'm waiting to hear about your opinion.



Other books I've read

No comments:

Post a Comment