Monday, December 26, 2011

LWP: On-chip, photon-number-resolving, telecommunication-band detectors for scalable photonic information processing

by T. Gerrits et. al.
Physical Review A 84, 060301(R) (2011)

Some of the big problems in commercial realizations of Quantum Optics protocols are the inefficient coupling between systems and detectors and the forest of optical devices needed to realize them in the laboratory. Integration in optical circuits could resolve both.

This article shows a realization of a photon-number-resolving detector that can be integrated with superconducting devices in photonic circuits. The detector is a transition-edge sensor made of tungsten evanescently coupled to the system to measure.

I'm not that bright to understand everything about the technical stuff but I find this very interesting in the sense that now they can strongly increase the efficiency of their detection process and as well as resolve photon number in the system (they tested their detection scheme with a coherent pulse with a few photons)

I wish I could say more, but I am far from my lab days. It is a nice paper presenting something that may very useful in the near future go and have a look and maybe you could come back and tell me more about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment