Thursday, December 29, 2011

Good-bye 2011: Ten things...

It seems like a tradition to have top-10 lists when the end of year comes about. I think I have never done so in my life, but  I'm ready to give it my best shot. I can hardly figure out if I'm gonna get to 10 but surely I'm gonna try and prevail with a "Ten things that 2011 left me". Here I go!

  1. I'm a lucky guy, not just because I won great prices on last and this year Christmas' dinner at CQT, but for all the reasons that follow.
  2. I've a great family. I was born to a school teacher and an oil worker who barely finished half his junior high, yet they saw me through my bachelor and more. And of course my mother and father aunts are the most amazing, supportive and crazy women I know, the same goes to my cousins and adopted brothers. I have known this for a long time, but every year they manage to remind me of it.
  3. I've had very good examples in life. I also have known this but, again, this year I met and saw with my eyes the works of great people: Kwek, Valerio, Bjorn, Berger, Chang, great individuals, great examples.
  4. I've had incredible bosses in the past. This is a reflexive. Man, oh man. I have had very good supervisors in the past, honest, responsible with moral and ethical standards and good hearths.  
  5. I've worked with great people. Thanks to my actual job, I met a bunch of great guys who have taught me a lot of physics, who have made me laugh a lot, run after a football for the fist time in many years, and enjoy a beer and a burger now and then.
  6. I've lived in a wonderful city. Singapore is something very special, it is a first world island/country/city where everything works, crime is very low and nothing is more than one-hour away by public transport.
  7. I've tried my best to live a honest life. That's hard, there's always a corner to cut, a rationalization to made or simply one can believe that it is doing so, without even taking time to meditate about it. I have failed in somethings, I have managed to keep my ground in some others, but I have always gone for it.
  8. I've everything I've ever needed. I have a roof over my head, food on my plate and clothes to enjoy the outdoors, a wonderful family, great friends and savings to survive while I get another job. I cannot ask for more. 
  9. It is us that decide what and when enough is enough. I guess the bar rises or lowers as you have to support wife, kids, or even such a bullshit as a "life-style," but in the end it is up to each and everyone to set that bar and take responsibility for it.
  10. I'll try to keep giving the good fight... is life about something else? I don't think so. 
May God bless us all in this new 2012!



No comments:

Post a Comment