Saturday, September 3, 2011

Luggage

If you have to box in your life, how many boxes would you use? My answer: None. I need a small backpack and a small piece of luggage or a rucksack to pack all my clothes, and that's all.

I remember the first time I got out of Mexico, I had two huge pieces of luggage with me. All kinds of clothes. Spring, summer, winter clothes; light, medium, heavy jackets; raincoats. The whole works. That was ten years ago. Right now I'm packing for a one week trip and the realization hit me: all my clothes, all of them, may fit a small piece of luggage, a little bit packed but the one piece only. Ten years and seven different places I have called home later, my life fits a small backpack and all my clothes, winter, summer, spring, a small piece of luggage. 

I'm happy with that, I never thought to come close to live an almost nihilistic vagabond life. It has been a long way from hoarding mostly irrelevant goods to live with just enough to cover basic needs and one or two hobbies. I have come to truly enjoy that. What saddens my heart is not being able to see often all the family and friends I made along those years and places.


No comments:

Post a Comment