Saturday, September 24, 2011

Last weekend movies...

Well, who would have thought, for the first time in a long long time, I'm actually writing about last weekend movies at last. It was a good weekend and week for movies; too much stress, too many things to think about, the perfect mix to just get home sit down and turn off the brain...

  1. Rango, *****
    I'm a sucker for many things but two of them are animations and westerns. This comic adventure is a nice western; ride to sundown included. I like westerns. I love anti-heroes with their gray in a black or white world. This is not an anti-hero western, but a hero's voyage in search of the self.

  2. Everything Must Go, ****
    Will Ferrell is a good serious actor when he's not playing a cartoonish human being. In this comedy/drama, he plays the role of a fucked up man whose life has completely gone down south. The film deals with his process to start anew.

  3. Paul, ****
    Simon Pegg and Nick Frost have shown time and time again that they are a great comedy duo. Now, they take on sci-fi. This film tells the story of two British sci-fi fans who find themselves helping a fugitive alien, Paul, escape from his captors in the US.

  4. Ironclad, ***
    It's England just after the crusades, John is king, a bad king, and got his ass kicked by the British Barons and forced to sign the Magna Carta. So, it's payback time. The King hires a Danish mercenary armada and is ready to strike back but he finds our heroes ready at Rochester Castle. I really enjoyed Giamatti's protrayal of King John. 

  5. Something Borrowed, ***
    A romantic comedy based on a novel with the same name. I have the feeling I have seen exactly the same theme sometime this year. Anyway, Goodwind is pretty and Krasinski is funny.   

  6. I am Number Four, ***
    This film is based in the 2010 novel of the same name; I'm really surprised that it was made a movie so fast. It is a good teen sci-fi action film, a little bit too slow in the first two thirds but nicely fast paced by the end. Kudos to Michael Bay for producing this one.  

  7. The Eagle, *
    Many novels and films have been made about the lost legion, the Legion Nona Hispanica, my favourites are Massimo Manfredi's The Last Legion and Jim Butcher's Codex Alera. I have the feeling that I have read or watch this story about the eagle somewhere else but situated in the German campaigns.

  8. Battle Los Angeles, *
    It's War of the Worlds but now the aliens are not allergic to earth. This action film tells the story of a platoon of Semper Fidelis U.S. Marines engaged in the front trying to rescue some civilians and find their valour.

  9. Your Highness, *
    Natalie Portman, that's the star. The movie is crappy. How can Franco and Portman, somehow two icons of their generation, say Freaks and Geeks for the first and Leon for the beautiful second, end up doing this shitty movie? At least the producers should have tried to bring the whole generation together. 

As I said in the beginning, interesting times are not over yet. I still get home with my mind winded and  Supernatural is doing a great job to make me sit down, turn off my brain and relax; we just finished watching the third season. Good news are, new season already started!

No comments:

Post a Comment