Thursday, June 2, 2011

Reuters' Special Report: Monterrey

I was chatting with Lyx and she shared with me "Special Report: If Monterrey falls, Mexico falls" by Reuters. Among a plethora of  horrifying  statistics, this is one is very disconcerting and hits me deeply:

"Perhaps hardest of all for city leaders to stomach is the exodus of some 2,500 students, some 20 percent of the student body, studying at the Tec University, considered one of Latin America's top schools for engineering and business and at the heart of Monterrey's industrial success. "

It is sad what's happening there, but  it is good that at least someone is writing about it. I have heard testimonials of kidnapings, shootouts, abuse, theft, and lack of government at Tamaulipas and Nuevo Leon but up to this day I have never read such a detailed account of all that is happening in one of the cities.

Not so long ago, some six months if I remember well, I was wondering if Mexico was a failed state; I think I have found my answer at least for Tamaulipas and Nuevo Leon. Sad but true.

1 comment:

  1. Si alguien me hubiera dicho hace dos años que todo esto iba a pasar yo le hubiera dicho: ves mucha televisión...que triste.. :(!

    ReplyDelete