Thursday, February 25, 2010

Profit killed the world

Today, I was working on the phase transition of some Hamiltonian model; listening to random music from YouTube. Suddenly, an unknown version of an old favorite, "Big Yellow Taxi", filled my ears. I kept working on the damned Hamiltonian, then the thought came to my mind...

Profit killed the world

Why this idea came to my mind? I have not a clue. Taking into account that I have no statistical data for the development of Earth's Carrying Capacity and the impact factor of mere consumerism surely is a hard thing to pinpoint, this assertion is pretty unfounded; however, the fact that a human being is just a consumer in modern times, and how it seems that the wellness of The Economy, indeed with capitals, based on consumerism is a worldwide policy, somehow makes me have impending doom feelings and parse the thought as most probably true.

Here's the aforementioned video...



Now, back to the damned Hamiltonian.


Appendix 1: Curiously enough, I found a post in Luis Felipe's blog that gave me the chance to rant about consumerism and responsibility, two of my favorite topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment