Tuesday, October 20, 2009

What about responsibilities?

I find it impossible to leave this question behind. Every now and then I hear complains related to violation of some kind of rights: human, children, work, etc. I cannot be more supportive when these complains concern issues about torture, abuse, privation and the like. When they appear to be mere rants arising from the termination of graces, I cannot help thinking about responsibilities.

Does a right come with a responsibility?

The first thing that comes to my mind is the famous quote refering to the attitude of Voltaire, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." [Evelyn Beatrice Hall, "The Friends of Voltaire" p. 199 (1906)] It seems to me that every right comes with responsibility of protecting and providing it for everyone else without any condition.

I'm aware that a formal discussion on the topic should include a broad topic spectrum. Of course paradoxes will emerge when rights seem to compete, e.g. the right to life for the unborn and the freedom of choice for women. Then a most intriguing question emerges,

What is ultimately a fundamental right?

It is beyond my abilities such an analysis, thus let me say goodbye for today sharing two things.

Today, thanks to my brother RoFlo, I was looking at a caricature by Chanu [Ouest France, April 22nd 2009.] at the blog entrance "The perverse destruction of the school in two images, a design by Chaunu" ["La destruction perverse de l'École en deux images un dessin de Chaunu dans Ouest-France"], which provides a good reflection and analysis under the French perspective.
I dare to say that this analysis applies as well under the Mexican perspective.

Does the right to a good education comes with the responsibility to study and to respect our teachers? I think so [AMIT, originally from Save the Children Canada]

Now, I flee; it is past midnight in this half of the world. Good night!



1 comment:

  1. Vida! que bueno que ya escribiste!:D pero de cual fumaste?! jajaja ntc
    Alguna vez lei por ahi, que las responsabilidades eran como una carga desmontable que los humanos facilmente se quitaban y depositaban en los hombros de Dios, la suerte, el destino, o hasta en la mascota casi creo. Será que si nos la quitamos cuando nos conviene?

    :*:*:*

    ReplyDelete