Friday, March 25, 2011

The Damned

I have always wanted to sit down and write some story larger than a couple of pages. At first, I wanted it to be something scifi or fantastic; but then the drug war in Mexico broke and there were enough stories running in the papers and tv that seemed out of an alternate universe. That's when The Damned came to my mind.

The Damned: Someone, are my socio/psychopath profiling notes on possible characters. They are presented as is. As a monologue taken from notes from an investigative reporter. They will all be first working draft, whatever comes to my mind out of the news I have digested from the news outlets or the stories I have lived or the stories that my friends have lived. No polishing at all.

So far, there's a story that has repeated in some rural communities: not so good guys come, ask for a price, people try to defend, they have their balls broken by the government disarming them, so the town is later taken by those guys and the inhabitants of the place are displaced.

The second history is about the "welcome to reality" that comes by dealing with working in something you like and then finding corruption, dishonesty, and everything else that is to be found in that real world where people do not strive to do a good job but rather want the money, fame and recognition just for free. And of course, how your balls get broken in the process.

I have never tried to write pulp fiction. I found it way too depressive and doomed. Doomed, not in the heroic sense, that's why I don't like pulp fiction. But I guess that, with time, I'm becoming more and more cynic. I guess my way to deal with the disenchantment of this part of reality is to write The Damned.

Now, I'm not a total cynic. I have the most wonderful friends and acquaintances that make everything easier. I still believe that selfishness and the joy of a job well done can change everything and I'm sure that this will find a way into The Damned sooner or later.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment